Originally named 'Landsberg Hall' by proprietor, George Muir, the theatre was operated as an Old Time Dance Hall and Tivoli motion picture theatre for eleven years.
In 1938 it was sold to Sunshine Pictures Ltd, and reopened as the 450-seat Astor Theatre. Its last screening, 'Tarzan Goes to India', was shown on 22nd February 1964.*
In March 2006, Mai Pyin and JohnPaul (Directors of PAHQ) purchased this historic landmark at 5 Grant Street, Bacchus Marsh and commenced an ambitious and extensive renovation, transforming the building into fully equipped studios and theatre space, designed specifically for the tuition and staging of the Performing Arts.
The Theatre has a seating capacity of 350 persons and features a sprung wooden floor designed specifically for dance, mirrors, ballet barres (as used by the Australian Ballet), Drama & Dance Studio/Stage Area, backstage area, dressing rooms, Instrumental Tuition Rooms (each equipped with an upright piano, sound system & music stands) a large elegant foyer, box office, kiosk and ladies & gents amenities. The Impresario Theatre is an excellent Performing Arts venue for students, performers and audience members alike.
The IMPRESARIO THEARE, as it is now known, is the home of all PAHQ's AfterSchool Music, Dance & Drama lessons, Annual Musical Theatre Community Theatre Productions and Music, Dance & Drama Mid-Year Festival. What better venue to learn Music, Dance & Drama than a purpose built Theatre with such local & historical significance?
*(Information courtesy of the Bacchus Marsh Heritage Guide)